If you are the kind of person that really appreciates a holiday in the city, if you like crowded shopping areas and if you love meeting new people and exploring the hidden depths of the city, you should definitely visit Toronto. You need a few days to experience the basic touristy activities and at least one week if you want to blend with the spirit of the city. Before coming here, you should learn these fun facts as a starting point for your trip.
- The city was founded in 1793 by the British and it received its name in 1834. Until then, the city was called York. Now, the residents of the city are called Torontonians.
- Toronto is the largest city in Canada but not its capital and it has a huge population of more than 5.7 million people. It is located in the province of Ontario and it is also the largest financial centre of Canada. Also, it is the fourth largest economic centre in North America, all of the foreign banks in Canada have the headquarters in Toronto.
- We all know that Canadians are a mix of cultures but a very interesting thing is that in the city of Toronto people speak more than 100 languages, half of its population was born outside Canada. Also, its people are very intelligent, more than half own a university degree, and this means that the residents of Toronto have more university degrees than any other country in the world.
- CN Tower that is located in Toronto is the tallest free standing structure in the world.
- If you are in Toronto it is impossible to get bored. There are 8000 restaurants and 35 000 hotel rooms. Also, there is a hotel- King Edward Hotel that is considered a haunted building; it was built on a hanging yard.
- The city has been rated as one of most exciting and filled with life cities in the world. The only problem is that it is the most expensive city to live in Canada.
- If you want to visit Niagra Falls, it is very close to Toronto. This is why it is a good base to a day trip to this beautiful symbol. There are also many parks and hiking trails very close to the city. Lake Ontario, one of the largest in the world is just near the city and it is a great destination for some moments in nature.
- The only real castle in North America is in Toronto.
- Finally, you will be happy to learn that the city is one of the safest cities in the world. Its police force is very efficient and friendly; this is why they are considered among the most respected police forces in the world. You will feel quite safe on the streets but don’t be reckless.