Whether you go there for the fun, for the beaches, for the shopping or for the natural landscapes, Miami is the perfect destination for your holiday. Beautiful zoos, exciting aquariums and amazing shows are just parts of what will make your holiday there an unforgettable one. Before going to Miami, there are a few cool facts that will either impress you or make you giggle.
- The name of the city comes from the word Mayaimis, a tribe of Native Americans that settled there during 17th and 18th century. The word means big water and it comes from the Lake Okeechobee.
- The founder of the city is a woman- Julia Tuttle. It is the only major city in USA that has a woman as its founder.
- In our times you can’t even imagine a day at the beach without the sunscreen lotion. You should know that it was invented by a pharmacist in Miami Beach in 1944. His name was Benjamin Green.
- The development of the city started in 1920 and before that the place was covered by a mangrove swamp. Nowadays you can learn more about that ecosystem at the Seaquarium.
- The city is really close to two National Parks: Biscayne National Park and Everglades National Park. Also, the eco-system in Miami is unique in the world. Its name is Everglades.
- Miami is home for the largest Art Deco Architecture collection. It has a whole district dedicated to art deco and there you can find more than 800 buildings belonging to that style.
- It is one of the cleanest cities in the world. In 2008 it was even awarded #1 Cleanest City in America by the famous Forbes Magazine.
- The cruise ship port of Miami is one of the largest in the world. Just walking around that area you might be able to see really luxurious cruise ships.
- South Beach is the most famous beach in the world, it was ranked #1 by the Travel Chanel. The whole Miami Beach is also known as the American Riviera.
- If you are curious about wreck diving, Miami is the place to go to; there are a lot of wrecks around the area.
- There are a lot of tourists who visit the city. Almost 12 million people come to Miami every year.
If all these facts didn’t convince you to visit Miami, just take a look at the pictures. We are sure that your holiday there will be amazing.